Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Loft - 02/10/2008

30801 South Coast Highway,
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
866-271-6953

My girlfriend and I have been on a bit of a brunch binge lately. Theres something utterly relaxing about a late morning leisurely meal after getting up at say 10:30. The Loft was one of our first choices, but we had to postpone it a few times due to inclement weather. Located at the Montage Resort in Laguna Beach, the whole resort just screams luxury and privilege; just look at what was parked outside.



The restaurant is located on the second floor of the resort with outside dining available. From here you can see both the hills of Laguna Beach and the dazzling Pacific Ocean. Apologies for the over-exposed photo it was painfully bright outside


Coconut Chicken & Crushed Pineapple - FriseƩ and Roasted Cashews, Passion Fruit Jus
This salad sounded like the perfect dish for a late morning repast, fruit, nuts, and a very light dressing. The waited did warn us that the salad was entreƩ sized but what do they know anyway. I was pleased at the combination of flavors, and textures, I actually could have done without the chicken which was just a touch dry.



Shiitake and Wild Arugula - Grilled Flat Bread "Pizza" Marinated Olives and Thyme
My girlfriend is a huge fan of arugula so in addition to craving a salad, she ordered the arugula and shiitake mushroom flatbread. The bread was warm and crispy with a bit of softness in the middle. The dish was just a little too salty for both our tastes, perhaps due to the olives, but still quite good


Slow Roasted Pulled Pork Sandwich - Braised Cabbage and Mango Chutney, Ciabatta Bread
I had a hard time deciding what to choose. My first choice was a burger but I figured I'd get something different so I went with the pulled pork sandwich. The whole affair was a bit sweet for me, the pork came with a sweet sauce that overpowered everything else, it felt like the cabbage and chutney were both afterthoughts tacked on so you weren't just eating pure pork.


Since I didn't have any dessert here is some more eye candy.


I have to say I was expecting a bit more from the Loft. After having been thoroughly impressed at Studio, I was expecting the same thing here. The views are spectacular but its would be the food that keeps me coming back, and theirs isn't strong enough to do that.

No comments: