Monday, December 12, 2011

2 Amy's - 12/05/2011

Having been to DC a number of times for work I've been to many of the city's top fine dining restaurants. This time around I made a point to look for some neighborhood favorites and 2 Amy's came up as one of the city's best for authentic Neopolitan style pizza. Opened by Peter Pastan of Obelisk, the restaurant has been around for over a decade and redefined pizza in the District. The Cleveland Park restaurant is named for the wives of Peter Pastan and his partner Tim Giametti and has the warm low-key feel.



Potato and Prosciutto Croquettes
Presentation aside this was one of the best things of the night. The exterior is crispy with a slight char yet the interior is moist starchy and rich. A mix of cheese, potato, and smoky bits of prosciutto.


Lardo, Prosciutto di Parma, Boar Cacciotorini
Traditional Cacciotorini is a half beef half pork salami, but this variety is made entirely from boar meat. Aside from the crisp dry texture I quite enjoyed this preparation. The proscutto di Parma was the safe choice, tender slick and salty I could eat this all day. As much as I love fat, the thin white layer of fat was too gamy and unctuous even for me. I could feel my gorge rise as the flavor of stale oil hit my palate and it was all I could do to swallow the thing.


Suckling Pig Head Salad
I was expecting something heavy and rich, a "salad" if you will. Instead the salad is intensely piquant and crisp. The pigs head is more of a textural element, gummy and slick.


Smoked Swordfish with Olive and Fennel
Cooked swordfish tends to have a texture more akin to a pork chop or steak than fish so it was no surprise the smoked swordfish was equally substantial. The heavy meaty texture is well suited to the concentrated woody character of the swordfish. The olive oil and fennel add a bit of herbaceousnenss.


Marinara - Tomato, Garlic, Oregano
My friend opted for the cheese-less pizza, The bitter char of the crust is deftly countered by the sweetness of the tomato sauce. The garlic and oregano add a zesty spice. A very straightforward but nuanced pizza that celebrates the classic combination of ingredients.


Margherita - Tomato, Mozzarella di Bufala, Basil
I opted for the classic Margherita pizza. Like the marinara, the tomato sauce provides a sweet base. I preferred this pizza thanks to the savory tang of the cheese and the floral aroma of the basil. The duo elevate this pizza above its simplistic predecessor.


Caramel Semifreddo
A number of reviews raved about 2 Amy's ice creams so I opted for a scoop of the caramel for dessert. This reminded me of a lighter version of Mozza's butterscotch budino, same great salty sweet taste, but less filling.


I have to say I was a little disappointed with 2 Amy's. For the most part the appetizers didn't work for me though that is more personal preference than any overt fault with the restaurant. The pizza is very good, but there were was one key flaw: limp undercooked dough at the center of the pizza. I know this might seem like a nitpick, but given the restaurant's reputation I feel such scrutiny is warranted.

2 comments:

Rodzilla said...

the soggy center seems to plague many a neopolitan pie. I understand a bit of tip sag may come with the style, but straight up wet isn't my thing.

Epicuryan said...

Agreed, I have found that the center does tend to quite soft, but this felt a bit much. Though the details are always important, they become magnified with something as simple as a Margherita pizza.